Wednesday, May 04, 2016

The "success" habit

OK, success is hard to define.

And I'd rather be successful at being faithful than have money, power, or position. I really do believe that, in the eyes of God, the only One Whose opinion matters, "...the last will be first, and the first will be last" (Jesus said that, quoted in Matthew 20:16). 

But this article from TIME, talks about a habit that all "successful" people share. 

I believe that no matter what your definition of success is, avid reading is the key to arriving there.

I once read that Pastor Rick Warren, founder of Saddleback Valley Community Church and author of The Purpose Driven Life, reads a book every day. That has to be one part of his "success" in faithfully seeking to make disciples for Jesus Christ.

As the linked article from TIME points out, investor Warren Buffet spends 80% of his waking hours reading. That's got to be one factor in his success as an investor.

As a Christian, I am only beginning to learn the importance of spending time reading, soaking in, and talking in prayer with God about His Word, the Bible.

I also believe that reading other books--history, theology, science, biography, novels, social commentary like you can find in Malcolm Gladwell's books--can help me become more successful at what I want to be: a disciple of Christ who makes other disciples. 

I don't want to be a Buffet or a Warren. But I do hope, even in my seventh decade on earth, to overcome more of my deficiencies and become more successful at being Mark Daniels. That's why I read.

No comments: