Friday, September 30, 2016

A Humble Legislator?

Once upon a brief time (one year before I went to seminary), I worked for the Ohio House of Representatives. And once upon a time, I wrote several extremely brief articles for Columbus Monthly magazine. So, this article rating the best and worst members of Ohio's General Assembly (that's what we call our state legislature) particularly intrigued me.

Over the years, I've known several members of the current crop of legislators, Republican and Democratic. I can only report that of the legislators I know who are mentioned on the list, I'd say the list is both spot-on and fair.

The most intriguing legislator picked for special mention is Rep. Sarah LaTourette, who I've never met. But the Columbus Monthly assessment, based on interviews done with legislators, staffers, lobbyists, and political insiders, is glowing. Choosing her as "rookie of the year," the magazine says:
The daughter of the late Congressman Steve LaTourette impressed Statehouse insiders with her humility, work ethic and curiosity. The 33-year-old freshman representative “understands the legislative process, understands what you have to do to get things done, understands that it’s not glamorous,” says one respondent.

“She knows what she doesn’t know, and she knows what she wants to learn, and she will ask anybody about it,” says a lobbyist. “That’s a great trait in a young legislator.”

Other insiders describe her as “thoughtful,” “easy to talk to,” and “savvy beyond her years.” “She’s got a chance to be a star,” says a lobbyist.
Humility? How often do you see that term used of anyone in the public eye? I know nothing about LaTourette's politics, other than her being a Republican. But I can go for humility in a politician.

[Blogger Mark Daniels is pastor of Living Water Lutheran Church in Centerville, Ohio.]

No comments: