Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Politics

Whether it's espoused by liberals or conservatives from within the Church, I've always felt that political proclamations made by Christians ought to be, with rare exception, clearly labeled "just my opinion."

Clearly, Christians of all stripes can say that life is precious, irrespective of the specific ways in which they might think life should be safeguarded in the political realm.

Clearly, Christians of all stripes can agree that even if we may disagree with others' life styles, governmental authority ought not practice bias or allow it to be practiced.

But, it's essential that we Christians not subordinate keeping Christ as our Lord to any allegiance we may feel to a political philosophy, or even to our country, as much as we may love it.

Two days ago, I presented some critical comments of Dr. James Dobson, a man whose early work on family living, parenting, and marriage to be extremely valuable. But I feel that he has veered too far into the realm of identifying Christ with his own politics, thus alienating people who might otherwise be won to Christ.

In talking about politics here, it's been my aim to be fair to all sides and to discuss current political issues sometimes from the standpoint of as unbiased a Christian perspective as I could muster and at other times, from the vantage point of one who constantly reads history. (I was a Social Studies major at Ohio State also.)

But occasionally, I too have veered into overt politicizing. And, because presenting the love of Christ is my highest priority, that has been a misstep on my part. I don't want to ever convey the impression that Jesus can be bottled up or packaged in some political program. Like Aslan, the Christ figure in The Chronicles of Narnia, the God we know in Jesus Christ isn't tame, He's insusceptible to our attempts to subordinate Him to our own preferences. He's the Lion of Judah, after all. He's wild and great and powerful and in theologian Paul Tillich's phrase, "wholly other." And, as Mr. Beaver told the Pevensie kids in the first Narnian book, this wholly other Lord Who can't be tamed or made to dance to our tunes is also good. He's gracious, loving, patient, self-sacrificing.

So, I refuse to put Jesus Christ in a box. I choose to let Him have free reign in me, so that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my mind will be acceptable to God...and tell the world about this incredible God, Who accepts us we are and helps the surrendered become what He made us to be.

On this blog, I'll keep looking at the politics of politcs from time to time, often looking at the history behind what's going on today. I will try to ask people of all political stripes to be fair to those with whom they disagree. I will speak out on a few political issues when I think the will of God is crystal clear. And, when politics and faith intersect--on issues like the Ten Commandments in public places, for example--I may have some things to say.

But I don't want to be a Jim, Dobson or Wallis. I'm sorry if I've ever edged into such territory. Let me know if you think I do so in the future.

UPDATE: I will also talk about other stuff in life, things like music, baseball, movies, books, TV, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, U2, Coldplay, the Boys and Girls Club, and such. I'm interested in all of life!

7 comments:

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Too bad we could not change the wording from "separation of church and state" to "separation of church and politics." I know it's way too subtle for the common man to get the difference.

smiles,
Liz

Deborah White said...

It's also important to not allow individual politicians to "own" religion or values, and to give no credence to politicians and religious leaders claiming to be more Christian, more spiritual or holding "better moral values" than his/her opponent(s).

To do so is condescending, unloving and prideful....the antithesis of the Holy Spirit.

It's reminiscent of the Last Supper when the disciples were competing among themselves to see who was the greatest.

Furthermore, Jesus does not hold contests or elections. That belongs to Caesar, not Jesus, and should be accordingly rendered to man, not God.

Dobson offended millions of people in 2004, and he hasn't yet stopped. He has done a sad disservice to the credibility of his ministry.

(OK...I'm done ranting on this subject....Thank you for your kind patience.)

Mark Daniels said...

Liz and Deborah:
Both of you make excellent points! Rant away, Deb!

Mark

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

I was looking at your music list.
We share some similar interests.
Oh yes and I like life too. What an interesting coincicence. :)

Rick Moore said...

Mark- Great to meet you this weekend at GodBlogCon. Hope you had a good trip home, and I've added you to my blogroll. You've got some good stuff going there.

Spencer Troxell said...

And unfortunately, no vote will oust Mr. Dobson from his seat. That's one of the maddening things about the religionistas that began visibly invading our country some short time after Barry Goldwater imploded. There is no way to hold self appointed leaders, or morality czars like Mr. Dobson responsible, because he almost seems to thrive on such criticism as this. I almost think these people like to whip things into a frenzy every now and then just to test how far their ripple extends, because that is the only way they can accurately gauge the extent of their influence. I almost think it's best to ignore these dinosaurs and let them die out of natural causes (Pat Robertson: Crushed to death by his own pompadour), but I wonder if that would only further imbolden them. I guess in the end, the only way to answer them is the way you have; reasonably, in a calm, low key voice that can't easily be translated as unanimous with whatever liberal sound machine the receiver might protest you belong too, and in a small, grass roots way that if in accurate numbers, would be egregious to scorn as the brain child of a malicious leftist giant out to shout down and discredit all 'notable warriors of Christ'. PS, maybe it's true that Christ needs menders as, or more badly than he needs warriors. Just a thought.

Mark Daniels said...

Lores & Rick: It was tremendous having the opportunity to meet and speak with you at GodBlogCon. I loved the conference and I look forward to God allowing our paths to cross again soon!

Spencer: As always, your comments are well-reasoned and thought-provoking. I do believe God needs more menders than warriors. The New Testament says that it's the kindness of God that leads people to repentance and new life through Jesus Christ. We can be agents of God's kindness!

James:
Your respectfully-couched question is an important one and I hope to be able to tackle it in a separate post tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you to all of you for your comments.

Blessings in Christ,
Mark