Wednesday, January 25, 2006

You're Wrong, Mr. Cowherd!

I rarely do this. But I'm going to vent. You see, right now, I'm furious!

Most radio talk show hosts are provocateurs who follow a simple formula: Say something outrageous, inciting incensed people to call in, causing others to listen, and do it all so that the station can sell advertising. I get it.

Because of my unwillingness to be "played" by these folks, I rarely listen to conventional talk radio of any kind. These days, that includes sports radio, to which I once listened with fair regularity.

But today, following a meeting and an appointment, I decided to tune into the show of ESPN Radio personality, Colin Cowherd. Cowherd is smart, quick, often funny. Not this day. This day, he was disgusting.

Cowherd was addressing the return of thirty-two year old Theo Epstein to the general managership of the Boston Red Sox. This baseball wunderkind who reconstructed the long-suffering BoSox franchise, turning it into a World Series winner in 2004, left the team about eighty days ago. But the Red Sox have lured him back.

Apparently, at the time of his previous departure from Boston, there was talk that Epstein might join the Peace Corps. The remembrance of this uncorked a scurrilous rant from Cowherd who proclaimed that Epstein was too smart and too much of a winner to ever be bothered with something like the Peace Corps.

The Peace Corps, Cowherd said, was a place for thirty-nine year olds who just got axed from their jobs. It's an organization, he expanded, for people "We don't need here." Life, he said, is about "a good steak and a good laugh," not being a do-gooder digging ditches in Borneo.

Theo Epstein, Cowherd said, can take any co-ed in Boston home with him any night of the week. He can go to any bar in the area and get his drinks for free. The notion that Epstein would give up the good life to do something as useless as volunteer in the Peace Corps was, Cowherd exclaimed, "AB---SURD."

Apparently, Cowherd has never met anybody who's been in the Peace Corps.

I think of Karen, late member of the congregation I serve as pastor. Right after college, she joined the Corps and went to Sub-Saharan Africa. Why did she do it? Karen was a deeply committed follower of Jesus Christ and believed in service as a way of gratefully responding to God's love, forgiveness, and life.

Even after she came home, settled into her career as a manager with an environmental engineering firm, married, and had a family, she saw service as an important element in her life. She was active in our congregation and volunteered as a tutor with a local Laubach literacy group, teaching illiterate adults how to read.

On her thirty-fifth birthday, Karen learned that she suffered from two rare strains of cancer. The prognosis wasn't good. Yet, as her health deteriorated, she continued to play guitar in our church musical ensemble, helped us serve dinners to the poor in Cincinnati's inner-city, and when an opening appeared on our Church Council, volunteered to serve as vice president. When she volunteered, I asked her, "Karen, are you sure that you want to do that?" "Mark," she told me, "I've decided that I want to give whatever time I have left to Jesus Christ."

Maybe your words were mere bombast for effect, Mr. Cowherd. But you sure got it wrong! I love baseball and I respect Theo Epstein for what he's accomplished in Boston. But I can't say that his achievements are of greater value than those of a faithful, world-wise, funny, intelligent servant of Jesus Christ named Karen. She was in the Peace Corps and she wasn't a loser.

Jesus once said that the first will be last and the last will be first. Maybe from the short-term perspective of free drinks and one-night stands, there are people deemed to be winners. But in the longer view of eternity, the real winners are people like Karen. Gratefiul for God's service to us in Christ, they serve others. Because they do, they enrich and ennoble the whole human race one person at a time.

[By the way, if you'd like to tell Mr. Cowherd what you think of his rant, you can email him at theherd@espnradio.com.]

5 comments:

Pooh said...

Spot on.

Though I'm just happy Theo came back. That doesn't change the fact that Cowherd is way, way of base here. I might just email him.

Mark Daniels said...

Pooh:
I think that he's "way, way off base," too.

Thanks for the comments.

Mark

Icepick said...

Mark, Cowherd is obsessed with what "sucessful" people are like and what they do. And basically he sees "sucessful" people as being people like him: at least a little famous, and/or have made some-to-alot-of money. (I'm presuming he has made a decent living for himself, at any rate.) Oh, and it helps if one works out a lot to be really buff and ripped. Oh, did he mention while you were listening that he works out a lot and could crack walnuts with his gluts? That usually comes up every 15 minutes or so.

His favorite way to emphasis his success is to put someone else down, preferably a fairly large group. I sometimes catch his show at lunchtime for up to 30 minutes at a time, and he has some favorites that he likes to pound on: martial arts guys (except for boxing fans), anyone who doesn't live in a city, anyone who is not Colin Cowherd-esque. He's so bad I've ended up listening to Rome instead at lunchtime, and I hate Jim Rome.

How I miss Tony Kornheiser!

(And I prefer to not listen to music at lunchtime. It puts me in a mood to not go back to work.)

Mark Daniels said...

Icepick:
"How I miss Tony Kornheiser!"

Amen!

Thanks for dropping by and for the comments.

Mark

Icepick said...

My pleasure, Mark.

I didn't even know that Kornheiser had a radio show until just a few months before it ended. What a loss for radio!