Friday, December 01, 2006

Two Great Writers...

with two fabulous pieces on their blogs.

Charlie Lehardy writes about Johnny Unitas.

Danny Miller writes about Robert Altman.

Once, composer John Ylvisaker and I stayed up talking until two in the morning. The subject of Bruce Cockburn came up. Out of the blue, Ylvisaker said, "There's one line of his..."--and I just knew what line he was going to mention and we blurted it out at the same time: "Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight!" "I would almost kill to be able to write a line like that!" Ylvisaker declared. Any writer or anyone whoever wanted to be a writer would feel the same way.

That's sometimes how I feel when I read Charlie's or Danny's stuff on their blogs. They're so good, so insightful, so evocative. You feel every word they write. Treat yourself and read their blogs right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark: This is going to sound like a totally random comment, but I'm going to write it anyway. I read the piece on Altman, saw a picture of Henry Gibson, and thought, "Why wasn't he ever a Bond villain? He would have been fabulous!"