Sunday, December 26, 2004

Webber's 'Phantom of the Opera' Hits Big Screen

I may be among a tiny phalanx of English-speakers in the world who have never seen Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera. While our son--now twenty-three and newly finished with his undergraduate work--was in high school, he, along with the Art Club, and students' parents went to New York and took in the Broadway production. My wife was one of the chaperones and attended as well.

Frankly, I've never been into Webber's music. That fact, coupled with the huge expense involved in buying tickets for even traveling productions of Phantom, have conspired to prevent me from even thinking about attending a performance of the stage show.

Now, Phantom of the Opera is a movie. The reviews are mixed. Here's a fairly representative one. I guess I'll check out The Polar Express instead.

No comments: