Friday, February 04, 2005

It's a Matter of Principle, I Won't Cave In To Weblogicus Sycophanticus

Weblogicus sycophanticus is a newly-diagnosed mental disturbance which, a cursory perusal of the blogging world demonstrates, is growing. The malady, the subject of a major article in the latest edition of The Journal of Sopping Up Research Funding for Even the Flimsiest Reasons, afflicts ambitious web log writers who incorporate massive, gratuitous links to the web sites of more prominent "bloggers," hoping to catch the attention of the former and perhaps be mentioned on their sites.

This, of course, is disgraceful behavior.

It appears that the most widely-quoted blogger is Glenn Reynolds, author of the web's most popular blog site, Instapundit.

"If your blog site gets linked on Glenn Reynolds' Instapundit," explained one anonymous blogger, "it's worth a few thousand hits."

A hit happens every time a visitor comes to a blog site. Bloggers crave hits because that means more people are reading their writings.

Please be advised that I never engage in gratuitous linking to Glenn Reynolds' Instapundit site. Even when the Instapundit site has interesting items on it, I refrain from linking, because I don't want to be a sycophant. After all, I have my dignity. I would never suck up to Glen Reynolds and his Instapundit site.

Having my blog mentioned on Instapundit could bring several thousand people to Better Living, but frankly, that isn't that important to me.

So, please join me in praying for the gratuitous linkers who suffer from this horrible disease. But whatever you do, don't let Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit know about it.

1 comment:

Deborah White said...

Your irony is funny!