Friday, March 11, 2005

The Least Among Us...

I forget where I first saw this story linked. The only thing I remember for sure is that it was on one of the conservative blogs I read. Whoever the blogger was, I appreciate your linking to it and I apologize for not remembering you for appropriate attribution.

Rick Warren observes in The Purpose Driven Life that there are tons of books on leadership available at book stores and libraries, but not too many on servanthood.

Yet authentic leadership, the kind that has an impact and enlists others in causes that matter begins with servanthood. As the old saw puts it, "Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care." And Jesus taught that whoever would be first must willingly submit to being last.

Jimmy Carter has shown us that ex-Presidents can be more effective and, as Christians, have more of a mission even than they enjoyed while in the White House. No longer constrained by the desire or the need to win the next election, ex-Presidents have the freedom to become the servant-leaders which their personalities, impulses, and standing allows.

I don't want to make too much of this gesture by Bill Clinton toward George H. W. Bush. But it was the action of a servant, perpetrating a kindness in hopes of not being found out. I'm impressed. So was former President Bush.

No comments: