Thursday, June 30, 2005

Confessions of a Recovering Snob

It's not as though I never read fiction. People who come to this blog know of my frequent re-reading of The Chronicles of Narnia. Or my love of Ellis Peter's Brother Cadfael mysteries. Or my fondness for the Sherlock Holmes stories and the fact that I actually read Nicholas Sparks' A Bend in the Road last year. (I thought it was mediocre, at best.)

Some thirty years ago, after graduating from college, working in a factory and searching for my career, I decided to dig into novels, something I'd never really done before. In my typically obsessive fashion, rather than hopscotching over books that looked interesting to me, I dug into the bodies of work of several authors, including Hermann Hesse and Kurt Vonnegut.

But I have to confess that most of my reading over the years has been of non-fiction. I've read hundreds and hundreds of books of history, theology, Biblical scholarship, and current affairs. Part of the reason I love non-fiction is that I'm afflicted with what my family calls, "The Cliff Claven Gene."

Like the Cheers mail carrier, I like facts and figures. (Unlike him, I hope, all my facts and figures are true.) When I was a kid, I spent nights before falling off to sleep and Saturday mornings reading from the Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias that lined my headboard. Instead of reading Treasure Island, I read about World War Two and politicians.

As I grew into my teens, the world still living in the afterglow of the Camelot mythology created by Jackie Kennedy and popularized by Theodore White, I adopted JFK's favorite poem, I Have a Rendezvous with Death, as my favorite poem and told my friends who were reading novels that like the late president, I felt that life was too short for me to spend time reading fiction. It was only later that I realized the guy had a death fetish and that there's more truth in the average novel than you're likely to find in Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.' s A Thousand Days. (At least the average novel engages in less myth-making than either Schlesinger's or Sorenson's books about the Kennedy Administration did.)

Today, I'm beginning to realize how much I've missed through the years by not reading more fiction.

I'm realizing something else, too: This failure is part of a deeper character deficiency in me. In short, I'm something of a snob. And, I've discovered I probably am for a reason, a pathetic one.

Last night, my wife, son, a boyhood friend of his, and I met some good friends for ice cream. The conversation turned to movies and TV shows. I said something about the old Seinfeld sitcom and one of my friends quickly informed me that I was incorrect. I explained that I'd based my erroneous assertion on something I'd read about the show. "But," I admitted, "I've never seen Seinfeld."

Our friends could hardly believe it and my wife smiled knowingly--yes, truly and authentically so--and said, "Oh, he wears that like a badge of honor."

I laughed. But I knew she'd gotten me. Consider my snobbery: "I don't read fiction. No time." "I've never seen Seinfeld or Friends, like the rest of you pedestrian mortals." Blah, blah, blah, blah. What an insufferable, party-pooping snob!

It's a wonder my family and friends haven't tarred and feathered me many times over. But, like true family and friends, they accept me as I am and by that acceptance, incite me to want to be better than I am. (And I'm not deliberately paraphrasing Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, which I have seen. They really do have this effect on me.)

As I considered this fact about myself last night, I asked, "Why? Why do I act like such a snob?"

Here's the pathetic answer, one that shames me: To be noticed. To set myself apart from the crowd.

Why would a man who knows that he's been loved, accepted, forgiven, and granted new life by God feel the need to be noticed, to set himself apart as the busy intellectual who disdains the things that others love?

The only answer I can give is that the old Mark resides within me the way Smeagol kept living in, tormenting, and obstructing Gollum in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. (Which I'm only now listening to on CD. I've never read it.)

The Bible says that as long as we live on this earth, our old selves will battle for supremacy over the new people God is making of the followers of Jesus.

This morning, I padded down the stairs and told my wife, "I'm sorry that I'm such a snob. I've asked God to help me to be a better person in the future."

She looked at me, smiling, and said, "I don't think you're very different from the rest of us, Mark." I felt pretty good. I had, so to speak, named my demon and asked God to cast it out.

But several hours later, my wife gave me something else to consider about my character. "Stop worrying so much about what I think," she told me. I feel another evening of introspection coming on.

[Mark Roberts, one of the best blogging pastors around, has linked to this post. Thanks, Mark!]

9 comments:

Deborah White said...

Wow...what a delightful post. Thank you for sharing it.

For me, fiction is a rare indulgence...great and oh-so-relaxing. In the summer, I try to set aside an hour a day for my book of the moment, and make it a mini-vaction. You might try it. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful lessons for all of us. Sometimes it's hard not to 'worship' the intellectual sides of ourselves & it's definitely hard not to view ourselves through (what we perceive to be) the eyes of others. I'm working on these too, though I'm reading lots of fiction in the meantime.

Mark Daniels said...

Deborah: Thanks, as always, for being so affirming. I am reading fiction these days; I've realized what a void it's left in my life not doing so in the past. It is fun to get caught up in a story and especially with great literature, to wrestle with thoughts about life and God and people and everything.

Alison: 'Worship' is precisely the right word. In the end, the fiercest idol and combatant for our allegiance over against God are ourselves or the opinions of others about us.

It makes me think of that line from the movie, 'Beaches,' in which Bette Midler turns to Barbara Hershey and says, "Well, enough about me. What do you think of me?"

I enjoyed the post on your blog about your husband.

Thanks to both of you for dropping by and leaving comments!

God bless!

Mark

Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

I've never seen "Friends" either, and only a few "Seinfeld" episodes in reruns (which I liked). But I used to be devoted to "Law & Order" and "ER". I think snobbery is one of the great hidden vices and we all set up our own private standards. I'm sure somewhere there's someone who watches "Seinfeld" and "Friends" and thinks he's too good for "Law & Order" and "ER."

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sam said...

Thanks, Mark for another great post. I could relate to so much of what you shared regarding the inner workings of "snobbery." My friends and I also joke about a related malady - "contrarianism." Opposing popular trends or tendencies for the sake of standing out. I can't say I avoided Friends or Seinfeld (like both shows), but I've caught myself rejecting other popular phenomena just for the sake of telling others that I'm above that.

It's amazing how much I relate to you and your insights. I guess in Christ, a Michigan Wolverine can appreciate a Buckeye.

Mark Daniels said...

Richard and Sam:
Thanks a lot for stopping by and for your comments.

My wife is really into 'Law and Order.' (The original series, that is. I don't know if she's watched any of the spinoffs.)

Contrarianism: Yeah, I've gotten into that too.

Hope to see you both back here soon!

Mark

John Schroeder said...

Good Stuuf. I've linked to it here

Anonymous said...

It makes me sad that so many people feel that fiction is a lessor form of communication. I too spent much of my time reading non-fiction, but I also read authors such as Mitchner who combine fact and fiction. But I found the stories that meant the most to me were the "morality" stories where good wins out over evil. Unlike the factual books, a conflict can occur and then be perfectly resolved without the main character compromising his own values.

I grew up in a home where the members claimed to be "Christians;" yet, they behaved in very immoral ways. When I questioned the "Christians" at church about the propriety of such acts, they put on an air of superiority and condemned the behavior but never suggested what the appropriate behavior would be. It was through novels--morality stories--that I obtained the sense of morality which has guided me through life.