Friday, September 30, 2005

Call in the Pest Conrtol Professionals!

Ann Althouse, spooked by an earlier experience of having bats invade her house, is now concerned that the place has become home to squirrels. Earlier, she asked readers if they thought if this might be the case. In an update, she responded to readers telling her how to handle such an invasion, saying that if there are squirrels in the AltHouse, she will call in professionals.

I responded:
I don't know if you have squirrels in your house. But I am with you on the question of what do about them. Of course, you should call in professionals.

Earlier this year, we had a family of skunks ensconced beneath our front porch. There was no way I was going to tangle with the crew!

(In fact, a bevy of skunks have terrorized our neighborhood, particularly the local dog population, all summer long.)

The skunks are no longer a problem at our house or in our community. Part of the reason for that happy turn of events is that I "outsourced" my skunk eradication program.

My advice to you is don't try to figure out whether you've got a squirrel problem or not. Call the professionals and let them make that determination.

(No real animals were harmed in the posting of this comment.)
By the way, my competence in any of the usual homesteading skills is so limited that I require professional help for even the most mundane of tasks. So, my advice in this matter may be worthless.

I only know that the most important tool in my arsenal for dealing with household repair and maintenance needs is the telephone.

2 comments:

Wyrfu said...

Really, it comes down to a choice of which infestation is worse: having your house full of squirrels or professionals...

Cathie said...

This past February, the pipes in our kitchen exploded due to the cold weather. We had it repaired, and everything seemed normal. Then, one day in March, I came home to the sound of something horrid coming from the kitchen. Animals were in my house! I froze at the front door, unable to move to the kitchen for some time. I thought, perhaps, they were rats ripping through the garbage. Rats! I finally got up the courage to go to the kitchen. No, the noise was not coming from the pantry, it was in the wall! Then I looked up as a small hole in the drywall. Something was up there trying to get out!

I called the landlord, unsure what to do. He sent over some of his buddies to "demousify" the place. By the time they came, two days later, the thing had scratched a baseball-sized hole and another that was the size of a golf ball. You could see the insulation torn to shreds in the wall. The thing was obviously making a nest. Then I saw it- only I couldn't tell if it was a rat because it was covered with insulation. I had to spend two nights wondering if the monster in my wall was going to get me!

No less than an hour before the mouse guys came over, I got a brrom out and started banging it against the wall. The monster freaked out. I could hear it running over the ceiling. I looked out the window and the next thing I saw was a squirrel leaping out from the back of the house. I went outside and noticed a hole where the electricity ran out to the airconditioning unit. I shoved some stones and bricks in the hole, and the problem was solved. No more monster in my wall.