Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans Day: Thank You

A few years ago, my family and I took a trip to Washington, D.C. Our son was in college, our daughter about to enter her senior year of high school. We were in the Washington Monument and each of us went our different ways to peer out the windows on all sides of the place.

After awhile, my son came up to me, accompanied by an older man. They had been chatting and in the course of their conversation, the man had somewhat hesitantly revealed to my son that he had fought in the Battle of the Bulge during World War Two. My son wanted me to meet him. We chatted for a few minutes and as we parted, my son shook his hand and told him, "And thank you very much for what you did for me."

The man seemed both embarrased and appreciative. I can also tell you that I was proud of my son.

And so, learning from his example, I want to tell all veterans who may read this, "Thank you for what you did for me...and for all of us!"

No comments: