Saturday, March 17, 2007

What Day Is It?


Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Here's an account of Patrick's life from Catholic Online.

Patrick is one of my heroes in the faith. For a good understanding as to why, read about him in the fantastic, How the Irish Saved Civilization. I tease my Roman Catholic friends that Patrick was so on-target in his theology that were he alive today, he'd be a Lutheran. (I'm kidding! But within the Church, he can be universally applauded, I believe.)

My colleague, Pastor Glen VanderKloot, sent out this modified version of Saint Patrick's Prayer in his daily emailed inspiration today:
I trust with certain faith:
The power of God to guide me,
The might of God to uphold me,
The wisdom of God to teach me,
The eye of God to watch over me,
The ear of God to hear me,
The word of God to give me speech,
The hand of God to protect me,
The way of God to go before me,
The shield of God to shelter me…

Against the snares of demons,
Against the seductions of vices,
Against the lusts of nature,
Against everyone who meditates injury to me,
Whether far or near,
Whether few or many.

We invoke today all these virtues
Against every hostile merciless power
Against the deceits of idolatry,
Which may attack my body and my soul.

Christ, protect us today
Against every death-wound,
That we may receive abundant life.

Christ be with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ within me.

Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ at my right,
Christ at my left.
Christ in the heart of every one who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every one who speaks to me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
Amen
If you'd like to receive Glen's daily emails, contact him at olwf1@gliq.net and put SUBSCRIBE on the subject line.

No comments: