Friday, April 25, 2008

Our Former Community in Our Thoughts...

For seventeen years, we lived in suburban Cincinnati, where I pastored the congregation I founded there, Friendship Lutheran Church.

While there, my wife worked in several different schools of the West Clermont Local School District. Our kids graduated from one of the district's high schools. I was involved with the school system, volunteering in one levy/bond issue campaign and chairing another campaign. We count several teachers and administrators among our friends.

In recent years, we've watched one tragedy after another befall the district. In March the string of sadness continued when a long-time administrator, John Abegglen, died suddenly of a heart attack while sitting at his desk.

I wrote about some of these sad events here.

Now, the district and community prepares for the funeral of Matt Maupin, a graduate of the same high school my kids attended and a young man with whom our daughter worked at the local Sam's Club. He was killed by a militia that had earlier kidnapped him. That happened four years ago, but his remains were only recently found.

My thoughts and prayers and those of our family are with Maupin's family and with all our old friends and neighbors in the West Clermont school district as they prepare for the funeral.

May God comfort all who mourn.

I'm praying.

No comments: