Thursday, June 03, 2010

Getting to love obscurity...so that you can live with purpose

My colleague, Pastor Glen VanderKloot of Faith Lutheran Church in Springfield, Illinois, sends out daily emailed inspirations. Today's is a gem, especially for those of us who may, at times too crave the limelight, which I suppose is all of us, at different times and in different ways. It all reminds me of the opening words of Rick Warren's book, The Purpose-Driven Life: "It's not about you." The more fully we absorb the truth of that statement, the more likely that God can really use us to bring life and hope to the world. Here's today's edition of OnLine with Faith:
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

 A THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

God only really uses me when I am little in my own eyes
and really humble at His feet.

The fact is, when a man gets to the place where he
really loves obscurity, where he does not care to preach,
and where he would rather sit in the back seat than on
the platform, then God can lift him up and use him,
and not very much before.

    Frank Bartleman quoted in The Fire that Could Not Die
   
Scripture 
James 4:10  New Century Version

Humble yourself in the Lord's presence,
and he will honor you.


Prayer
Lord,  help me to be willing to take a back seat,
and humble myself in your presence.  Amen
   
*************************************************

No comments: