Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It Starts with the Basics

The planet is in a human-made mess--politically, relationally, economically, environmentally. Most people go through each day with no hope for their futures, earthly or eternal. How can things change? How can we change? Two Biblical passages have struck me today while studying for the Sunday sermon:
[God says:] "...this is the one [the person] to whom I will look, to the humble and contrite in spirit, who trembles at My Word" (Isaiah 66:2). [emphasis mine]

Proverbs 9:10 says: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight." 
Humanity is out of whack, in part, because we don't acknowledge the fundamental fact of the universe: God is God and we're not. An honest acknowledgment of this foundational truth will lead us to desperation and, if we are willing, it can lead us to entrust our lives to the only One Who can erase the power of past sins and overcome death for us: the God made known to all people in Jesus Christ.


Of Himself Jesus says: 
“For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Those who believe in him are not condemned; but those who do not believe are condemned already, because they have not believed in the name of the only Son of God" (John 3:16-18).
Put down your dukes! Quit fighting off the love, life, forgiveness, and hope that you need and that God wants to give to you. Embrace the life Jesus Christ has in mind for you. Be honest and tell Jesus, "There's more fear of the world in me than there is fear of You. But I've tried life without you, the world is still trying it, and it's clear, that way of life does not work. Faith is foreign to me, but I am willing to believe--to trust--in You, Jesus. That willingness is all I'm capable of giving to You right now. But I am desperate for You and the blessings that the Bible says only You can give. I hand You my desperation and ask You to turn it into faith. Take away my fear of the world and help me to fear only You."

I pray a prayer like that every day because faith--trust--in Christ doesn't come naturally to me. I need the God Who is bigger than me.

No comments: