Saturday, January 08, 2011

How's Your Conscience?

Today's installment of Our Daily Bread prompted these thoughts.

If our consciences never bother us, it's a sign that we've wandered far from God. It means that forgetting God's design for human beings has become so habitual to us and we've grown so narcissistic that we no longer know or respond to the truth of God's revealed will.

If our consciences regularly bother us, chances are we have a good relationship with God and live in daily repentance and renewal. A conscience held captive to God's Word is like a spiritual GPS by which God turns us back to Him and to the life God gives to those surrendered to Jesus Christ.

If our consciences always bother us, in spite of confession in Jesus' Name, we're allowing the devil, the accuser, to speak louder to us than God's Word. God wants to forgive and be reconciled to us. God wants us to believe His Word when He forgives our sins.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23-24).

No comments: