Thursday, March 10, 2011

"The morning's gonna shine like a red rubber ball"

I had a great day off with my wife, Ann, even though some of it was taken up by an appointment with our dentist.

The highlight of that visit came when the doctor and I sang some of 'Red Rubber Ball' by the Cyrkle to his hygienist. She hadn't believed him when he mentioned this song and the band; she thought he was making both names up. Kids! (She's thirty.) I had to sing to vouch for his veracity.

By the way, the Cyrkle, an American band, was managed by Brian Epstein, the manager of the Beatles. They opened for the Beatles on what I think was their last tour of the US, in 1966.

'Red Rubber Ball' was co-written by Paul Simon, a melodic little pop tune that, as you can hear in the clip below, lent itself to pleasant harmonization.

No comments: