Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Man of Contrasts

G.K. Chesterton was an English writer about whom I've read, but haven't actually read. I've decided to change that and actually dig into his writing. After all, someone whose work was loved by C.S. Lewis, my favorite writer, must have something to offer. (Both writers, Chesterton in 1936 and Lewis in 1963, died in the early 60s, each leaving behind a huge deposit of novels, stories, Christian apologetics, essays, and other writings.)

Ann Althouse spent some time on her blog recently excerpting sentences from The Great Gatsby as she read it. I've decided to rip off her idea and present sentences that strike me in Chesterton's The Innocence of Father Brown. This one appears almost at the beginning of the book. I love the clear picture it imprints on my imagination:
"There was nothing notable about him, except a slight contrast between the holiday gaiety of his clothes and the official gravity of his face."

Chesterton, G. K. (Gilbert Keith) (2011-03-30). The Innocence of Father Brown (p. 1).  . Kindle Edition.

No comments: