Saturday, August 08, 2015

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2

I remember first hearing this song and being utterly blown away by it.

It seems to speak to me on two different levels. One is about the things that we can rightly look for in this world. Love, for example.

The second level is about the one thing we can never find in this world, that only comes from the God we meet in Jesus Christ, through Whom God's kingdom comes and only comes in its fullness when, like our Lord, we die are raised from death by the One Who becomes our Father through Christ and our faith in Him.

It's sad when the things from the first category prove ephemeral or beyond our reach.

It's sadder, eternally sadder, when the eternal gladness God wants to give to us proves elusive to us beyond the gates of death because we turn our backs on Christ, the Savior Who refuses to turn His back on us.

In this world, we will never find all that we're looking for. We have eternal appetites; this world is finite, time-bound.

But, as we trust in Christ, we can be assured that God will not only give us what we were always looking for, even when we have no idea that He is what we were looking for all the time, but more. Saint Paul writes: "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen" (Ephesians 3:20-21).

I believe that one day, in the words of another musician I love, John Ylvisaker, God "will make sense of our loving and hoping."

The Holy Spirit enables me to trust that the God Who sent His Son to die and rise for me (and for you) will do that for all who dare to trust in Him. Jesus promises that "the one who endures [in faith in Him] will be saved" (Matthew 24:13). I try to remember that every day because I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Somewhere in time or eternity...



Isn't The Edge the most exquisitely wonderful guitarist ever?


No comments: