Thursday, December 17, 2015

I don't follow Jesus because I'm a good person

I'm not a follower of Jesus Christ because I'm a good person.

I'm a follower of Christ because I'm not a good person.

And because Christ, truly God and truly human, is so good--perfect, in fact--that through His death and resurrection and the faith in Him that His Spirit creates in me, He covers me with His goodness.

In doing this, He makes me acceptable to heaven despite my lack of goodness.

And the Holy Spirit then daily undertakes to reconstruct me--in ways often painful to my ego and to my sense of entitlement--in the image of Jesus.

Though I need Him, I often fight the very Christ I daily invite to control my life.

But Christ is a relentless combatant for un-good people like me.

While we draw breath on this earth, He never gives up the fight to save us from sin--our intrinsic ungoodness, our inborn alienation from God--and the fight to help us to be more like God's prototype for the new human, Jesus Christ, we are all meant to be.

If you'd like to follow Jesus, along with all the other not-good people of the world who are being saved and who bear His name, let me know. I'll try to help you. Or point you in the right direction for moving forward.

No comments: