Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snow: Time for football or shoveling? Go with football

When I was a kid, there was nothing more fun than playing football in the snow. 
One Christmas Eve, when I was in my teens, my cousin and I, having no other teens to hang out with, went out on a night already deep with snow, the snow still falling, and ran endless pass patterns. I was Joe Kapp throwing wounded ducks to my cousin, who could run like crazy.
Fun.

On a more serious note, when my cardiologist visited my hospital room after he'd put a stent through the LAD (left anterior descending artery) that had been 100% blocked and caused a heart attack, he told me three things: You will be on aspirin the rest of your life (he took me off of aspirin a few months ago); you will never mow a lawn again; you will never shovel snow again. 

I can't say that I really miss shoveling snow. Here's another WaPo article, this one explaining why some people fall over dead when shoveling snow.

If you're a person of a certain age or have heart or blood pressure issues or have diabetes and you're given the choice between getting stiff-armed in a neighborhood football game in the snow involving cops or shoveling snow, pick getting stiff-armed. You may be sore the next morning, but you're more likely to still be alive. 





No comments: