Friday, June 10, 2016

Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan

I hadn't listened to music all day long, when this evening, out of the blue, this song from the 70s came to mind.

I never owned the record and don't remember liking it all that much. It's sort of cornball and, lyricially, is based on one flimsy little metaphor.

But listening to it a couple of times this evening, I've concluded that I sorta like it: The song of a guy who realizes that he's beginning to fall in love with and, to his surprise, trust a particular woman.

Ever a fan of harmonies, I also like the background vocals.

The simple guitar solo in the middle is Beatley, as in the instrumental version of This Boy featured in Ringo's walkabout scene in A Hard Day's Night.

Magnet and Steel was produced by Lindsay Buckingham, of Fleetwood Mac fame. Stevie Nicks, also of Fleetwood Mac, is on the background vocals.







No comments: