Friday, April 26, 2019

I Want Life, Not Dust

[Jesus said:] “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?" (Matthew 16:24-26)

We spend a lot of time trying to acquire things that this dying world has to offer, like success, security, comfort, some validation of our worthiness.

But these trophies will mean nothing and do nothing for us when we've been reduced to powder.

Only the God Who made us and is ultimately revealed for everyone to know and see in the crucified and risen Jesus can give us life: Life today, in an imperfect and fallen world, with Christ beside us. And life tomorrow, beyond the dust, life that never ends, life as God intended for us to have it when He first breathed life into dust to make Adam.

I can easily see the trophies offered by this world. That's what makes them so tempting.

But I ask that the Holy Spirit will help me to remember the trophy that is more lasting and more meaningful than anything a dead world can offer me, the trophy of eternal life with God through faith in Jesus.

God, make my central ambition the same as that of the apostle Paul: "I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:10-11) In Jesus' name I pray. Amen

[I'm the pastor of Living Water Lutheran Church in Centerville, Ohio. These are reflections from my quiet time with God today.]

No comments: