Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving This and That

Once again, blogger Mark Roberts has hit a home run. His series on Thanksgiving is worth reading and (Dare I say it?) digesting on this Thanksgiving Day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since I am inept both as a cook and handyperson, I have a few hours of alone-time right now. I'm in charge of Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas feast clean-ups each year, which suits me just fine.

As a pastor, so little of my work is measurable. I produce few widgets. That's why I enjoy things like cleaning the house, doing the dishes, and mowing the lawn. Once those tasks are completed, you can see it.

Right now, most of my extended family has left here for my brother-in-law's place. He owns a double on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River. My brother-in-law occupies the second-floor unit and spent several years transforming it, restoring it to its original beauty while adding some modern accoutrements. Recently, a tenant left and b-i-l has been working hard to get the place ready to rent. There is painting and some other things to do.

I'm a lousy painter. So much so that a number of years ago, after botching an unbotchable job in a bath room, my wife forbade me from ever picking up a paint brush again. Some suspect me of pulling a Tom Sawyer. But I can assure you that I am helpless when it comes to painting or any other handy task.

So, I'm left to the dirty dishes and, for occasional breaks, the computer.

How do you divide responsibilities when it comes to family feasts?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our almost twenty-year-old daughter suggested that after our Thanksgiving prayers, we go around to each celebrant and ask them to name the things for which they are most thankful. Having been the one to offer the prayers, I explained that I had already named most of my greatest sources of gratitude: new life from Jesus Christ, our extended family, the safety of all who'd arrived today, our wonderful country, and the food on our table. (Lots of food on the table today!) But when asked, I said that among the things for which I am most thankful is that my wife has stuck with me for thirty years. I don't deserve the wonderful marriage we enjoy, but God decided to bless me anyway. (That's called grace.)

For you Americans, what are some of your Thanksgiving customs? (Most of the hits I've had on this site today have been from Europe. Welcome to all!)

And what are some of the things for which you're most thankful today? (That's for everybody!)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanksgiving Day always represents the official kickoff of our family's Christmas celebrations. We do that, in part, by putting a bunch of Christmas CDs in the rack and set the stereo for random play.

This year, we bought two of those special Christmas collections that retailers sometimes offer. They're both really good.

One is the Hallmark release, A Christmas Album by James Taylor. There isn't a bad cut on the whole LP. I especially like his duet with Natalie Cole on 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' and an interesting arrangement of 'Jingle Bells.' Taylor's presentation of 'Go Tell it on the Mountain' is fabulous.

The other collection, sold at The White Barn Candle Company and Bath and Body Works is called, The Perfect Christmas. This is a two-CD set which, like the Taylor CD, is a mix of what are commonly referred to as sacred and secular Christmas music. (Although I chafe a bit at those categorizations.) Cuts from many artists are featured. Bing Crosby, Ringo Starr (singing a song with his Roundheads that was originally composed and recorded by all the Beatles as their annual Christmas greeting record for members of their fan club), B.B. King, Shania Twain, Jewel, Barenaked Ladies, Louis Armstrong, Sting, and others are represented here.

Those two CDs join perennial favorites of our family. Among them: Amy Grant's 1983 release, A Christmas Album and Our Christmas, a collection of interestingly arranged Christmas songs from Michael W. Smith, Al Green, David Meece, Bryan Duncan, Grant, Sandi Patty, First Call, Mylon LeFevre, Kim Hill, Phil Keaggy, Russ Taff, and Roberta Flack.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, it's back to my clean-up operations. I hope to write more about the thankful Samaritan from Luke 17 later today.

No comments: