Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Your Opinions of 'Imperial Hubris'?

Imperial Hubris is another one of those books that has awaited my attention for some time: my son bought it for me a few months ago. The book, the authorship of which was originally ascribed to Anonymous, is the handiwork of Michael Scheuer. Until this past Friday, Scheuer was employed by the CIA and from 1996 to 1999, he headed the unit charged with tracking and understanding Osama bin Laden and the al Qaeda terrorist network.

I'm about one-third of the way through Scheuer's book and I must say that I'm reading it with mixed emotions. It seems to me that he is guilty of some hubris, as he is an equal opportunity critic of just about every decision-maker in the US government---Democrats, Republicans, and civil servants in the upper echelons of the CIA.

If Scheuer is only half-correct in his assertions about al Qaeda, then the West has only half-reacted to the threat it poses. But I will hold off on making any definitive comments on Imperial Hubris until I've finished reading it.

In the meantime, if you've read it, would you like to share your opinions and impressions by clicking on the Comment button below?

No comments: