Saturday, June 04, 2005

Still Driving with 'Driving Rain'

Driving Rain CD on PMEn
Today, while cruising between commitments, I had Paul McCartney's Driving Rain, his most recent studio release, playing loudly.

There are so many good rockers on this disc! It's more organic than a lot of Macca's releases, resulting from his decision to record this one Beatles-style, that is, he booked studio time and largely wrote the material as he went along. His current band loves to rock and it shows. From the opening bass notes of the hard-driving Lonely Road, with its overdubbed belted-out harmonies, to the last-minute addition, the anthemic, post-9/11, Freedom, McCartney holds nothing back, making this one of his most passionate and fun releases ever!

But as is true of the last two U2 releases, I've played the snot out of Driving Rain and so, I can't wait for his new studio release to come out later this year. I understand that on this one, as on McCartney and the less satisfying, McCartney II, he plays all the instruments as well as doing all the vocals. But he will be backed by his current band for the tour that's coming up. I probably won't be able to take in this tour: the tickets are too expensive for me to handle. But if you get a chance to see him, as I did in 1990 and 1993, don't miss it!

[For my mostly tongue-in-cheek invitation to Sir Paul, offering him a gig playing at my daughter's wedding on his birthday, June 18, look here. Macca still hasn't responded. Imagine that! And I offered him a whole thirty-four bucks, too!]

No comments: