Friday, February 03, 2006

Bono Delivers One of the Best Sermons I've Ever Read

Read the whole thing. I loved this section especially, recalling how he had long wanted to avoid religious people:
Seeing what religious people, in the name of God, did to my native land… and in this country, seeing God’s second-hand car salesmen on the cable TV channels, offering indulgences for cash… in fact, all over the world, seeing the self-righteousness roll down like a mighty stream from certain corners of the religious establishment…

I must confess, I changed the channel. I wanted my MTV.

Even though I was a believer.

Perhaps because I was a believer.
Amen!

3 comments:

P_J said...

Mark,

I'll have to go back and read the whole thing when I have a little more time. I love the section you quoted and understand exactly what Bono means.

Interestingly, I was raised in church but wandered away as a young man. God used a TV preacher, just the kind Bono rightly criticizes, to bring me back home to himself. While I am disgusted by the hypocrisy, greed and self-righteousness of many "super-apostles" (as Paul might say), I'm also reminded of Paul's words in Philippians 1:15-18.

"The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached."

I'm not dismissing the very real concerns about bad teachers and selfish motives. It's a humbling reminder to watch my own motives and life closely. And I'm encouraged that if God can speak through an ass, then there's hope for me.

Deborah White said...

I linked to this post from my About.com blog.

Mark Daniels said...

Jeff:
You make an important point and one well-taken.

Deborah:
Thanks as always, for being so supportive and encouraging. It's kind of you to link to my blog.

Blessings in Christ,
Mark