Friday, June 23, 2006

A Chance to Help with Mississippi Gulf Coast Rebuilding


Over the weekend, my wife, daughter, and I went to Columbus to help celebrate Father's Day with my dad. While there, one of my brothers-in-law and I picked up his son, my nephew, who was returning from a mission trip to Mississippi. There, he and a number of young people from far-flung churches helped rehab homes devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

He reported that most of the homes in the neighborhood in which they worked were not yet habitable. When his father asked him what he learned, his answer was simple and meaningful: "That I've got more than I need. And I complain too much." Pretty good for a teenager, huh? (Pretty good for a person of any age.)

This reminded me of how much is yet to be done to help those whose lives were disrupted by last year's hurricane season. Then, I saw this from Dan at A Slower Pace. He's headed down to the Mississippi Gulf Coast to help with rebuilding, too. There, he links to the church and agencies with which he'll be volunteering. He's looking for prayers and sponsors. Contributions will go through his church. So, what you give is tax-deductible.

If you're like my nephew and know that you have more than you need, pray and consider sponsoring those who are sharing Christ's love very practically with hammers, saws, and paint brushes. If it isn't to sponsor Dan, then look for other opportunities to help.

Whatever you feel moved to do would be great!

No comments: