Wednesday, August 23, 2006

"I know music. I hear it every single day."

This apparently constitutes Paris Hilton's credentialing as a singer. Well, I've listened to music, too. But this isn't what I was doing when I endured some samples of Hilton's new CD on iTunes or when I listened to as much as I could stand of three whole songs on the project's web site.

In her defense, Hilton can carry a tune...sometimes. But she seems to have a...ahem...confined range. Billie Holliday she ain't.

One thing unconfined about the project is Hilton's willingness to trade on her reputation as sex object. ("Gonna lose my clothes...Gonna be exposed," she whispers on one track. Now, that's poetry!)

No amount of overproduction could make this CD good. But will it be a hit? Probably. After all, Paris Hilton has found a formula for success...being Paris Hilton.

Yawn.

4 comments:

Matt Brown said...

I think it's a sign of the End Times when we have pastors blogging about Paris Hilton. ;)

Mark Daniels said...

Matt:
You may be right.

Mark

Richard Lawrence Cohen said...

And after all, she's a child of God too. Although what purpose He's put her here for, beats me.

Mark Daniels said...

Of course, she truly is a child of God. But as an heiress, she suffers from a condition that haunts many of us in developed countries to greater or lesser degrees: We have a glut of options, the license to live dissipated life styles that only a few could have lived in previous generations.

With this "glut of options," we all can make questionable choices--I know that I have--and drift far away from the sorts of lives I think we were made to live.

As strong-willed and as unafraid as Paris Hilton appears to be, I could imagine her accomplishing great things with her life.

Praying for her, not in a self-righteous way, seems like a good thing to do. Maybe we can ask God to help her find her purpose in life.

Mark