Monday, August 21, 2006

Just Read What Juan Williams Has to Say

In today's Washington Post:
With 50 percent of Hispanic children and nearly 70 percent of black children born to single women today these young people too often come from fractured families where there is little time for parenting. Their search for identity and a sense of direction is undermined by a twisted popular culture that focuses on the "bling-bling" of fast money associated with famous basketball players, rap artists, drug dealers and the idea that women are at their best when flaunting their sexuality and having babies.
We must fill the void in kids's lives not with the lies the culture that Williams so eloquently describes, but one infused and empowered by the God Who makes every child and demonstrated His love for each one through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The crisis of identity that Williams sees in the lives of African-American children is seen in many ways throughout all of youth culture in America and should be a call to tough, loving ministry on the part of every church and community in our country.

Who will give our kids hope and a different way of life?

Who will challenge them to turn their backs on the cruise control, take-but-never give ethos being commended to them by so many of their cultural icons today?

See here, here, here, here, here, and here.

11 comments:

Louisiana said...

i'm glad that you trying to do something to improve the world. i wish you the best in your quest. Dr. John send me, you are his link of the day.

Stacy said...

As a former youth director, it used to concern me to see the extent of influence our culture has on even "good, middle-class, white, church kids", let alone the minorities and disadvantaged. It's frustrating to try and reach them one at a time when so many need help.
Here from Dr. John's. I

ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Kudos for all you efforts!

Dr. John sent me!

Charlene Amsden said...

Six years ago I lifted a prayer to God and asked him to "send someone" to teach the children. Soon there after He showed me that I am someone. I am the fdirector of a children's ministry in an innercity neighborhood. Our motto is, "If the children are not brought to church, we will bring church to the children."

Every Saturday we have 30-40 kids attend our 2 hour program. Initially they only come for the food, but there are some who have attended 5 full years.

We cannot reach ALL, but each of us can reach some. All who claim Jesus as their personal savior are required to, "Go therefore and make Disciples in all the nations." That does not mean we have to go to other nations. We should all feel free to start right in our own neighborhoods.

Sorry to take over your blog and preach. You've activated my "soapbox" button. Dr. John sent me to comment -- not to usurp.

starbender said...

Our world has become sooo corrupt, and the little children are falling thru the cracks. It is very hard 2 raise children alone.
Even the Amish are losing their children! Dr. John sent me!
:)

Cindy said...

I agree with you 100%- if we (the church) don't love these kids, the drug dealer on the corner is going to. Dr. John sent me and I'm bookmarking you so I can come back.

Catch said...

I agree with you 100 %. Our children are falling between the cracks.....you have a very uplifting blog.....Dr John sent me.

Mark Daniels said...

Thanks to all for your comments. Please come back.

More importantly, please pray for our nation's children, that they will come to know Jesus Christ...that the Church will be faithful in sharing Christ with them...that the Church will be faithful in living out the love of Jesus.

God bless!

Mark

Margaret said...

Great post and I agree. Jesus will save our children - I'm sure. Sent via Dr. John and shouting a big hello!

Dr.John said...

As a pastor in the Lutheran church I am very much aware of the problem you describe. Over my fourty years of ministry we tried many different ways to reach unchurched youth with the good news. I wikk pray for you.

Mark Daniels said...

Dr. John:
Thank you for...

your service in Christ's Church,
your comments,
your prayers, and
your link to this site.

Blessings in Christ,
Mark