Thursday, November 09, 2006

Has the Real Bush Been Liberated by Midterm Defeat?

Of President Bush's day-after-the-election-thumping, my blogging buddy Rick Moore writes:
"The President sounded like he's going to go where the Dems lead him, at least initially. That's not good for anybody."
What's funny is that in watching some of the news conference when it was replayed on C-Span last night, I had an entirely different reaction.

I thought that Bush sounded more presidential and more his own man than I'd ever heard him before.

The thought I immediately had was, "He's been liberated by defeat. This seems like the real Bush."

My guess is that the President feels that an overreliance on his handlers, whatever their portfolio, has gotten him low approval ratings and Democratic majorities in the House and the Senate, among other things. Yesterday, I sensed him saying, "It's my presidency. I'll hold fast on principle and I'll give on specifics." That's what good leaders do.

In fact, because of that press conference, I haven't had as much respect for Bush as a leader since he stood on the pile of rubble with that New York firefighter days after the 9/11 attacks. This isn't a policy statement. I neither endorse or lambaste people's politics around here...at least I try not to do so. It's an observation of someone who's into history and leadership.

Unless I totally miss my bet, the real Bush is about to bloom. He'll shock and surprise, but I think he's intent on getting some things done...even with Democrats.

4 comments:

Deborah White said...

I fully agree. I personally don't think he's heartbroken that the House has been cleaned out, and that the House social conservatives have lost their power.

In fact, I understand that the RNC cut funding to many House Republican candidates weeks ago.

I don't believe, though, that Bush wanted Republicans to lose control of the Senate, which confirms presidential nominations. He campaigned hard for several of the defeated Republican senators.

George Bush is a moderate Republican who hates being told what to do, including by Dobson/Robertson/Falwell.

Spencer Troxell said...

I was charmed by Bush's press conference as well, but would be reluctant to suggest the 'real' Bush has come out all of a sudden. I think this new bipartisan Bush (if that's what he turns out to be) and the familiar 'we're in control, we run the show' Bush are one and the same. Bush knows politics, and is bringing a sporting attitude to defeat. I've never been the guy to say Bush was dumb or a puppet. I think he's a smart politician, and is ready to be pragmatic now that he doesn't have total control anymore.
I have to disagree with Deborah on her Bush as Moderate statement. Bush is a conservative evangelical for the most part. His party has been cleansed of pesky moderates, and although the ranks have been thinned, things are probably more managable now.

Anonymous said...

Bush is a conservative on some things, but he hardly hews to Republican orthodoxy. Look at his spending, immigration, and foreign policies.

I agree that Bush a more shrewd politician than he gets credit for. I also think he's more flexible than we've seen. He was glad to run things a certain way with Republican majorities, but I think he knows he's going to have to give and flex.

While some moderate Republicans were voted out, Santorum, the hero of conservative evangelicalism, got his head handed to him. Pelosi has also indicated that she'll fill leadership posts by seniority -- which means fairly liberal Dems and not, ironically, the moderates who gave the party this victory. I doubt Bush will try to advance a strongly conservative agenda.

The country seems to want both sides to move towards the center. Bush will have to. It remains to be seen whether Pelosi and the House will.

Spencer Troxell said...

You're right Pastor Jeff, my characterization as 'a conservative evangelical for the most part' may be too shallow.

Bush is a politican first, and a skilled one. As long as there is a civil, well represented opposition, I would think it's not unreasonable to expect him to be on his best behavior. That's how it went down in Texas.

Santorum did get his head handed to him, didn't he? An interesting choice of words to describe the downfall of 'the hero of evangelical conservatism.'

I don't mind Bush's presidency nearly as much now as I did a week or two ago. I hope the new attitude sticks. It's certainly nice to have a little balance again.