Monday, October 08, 2007

'Questions from Without' Worth Your Time

Several years ago, one of the first blogs I began reading with any regularity was Tabletalk by Craig Lewis. In a series of new posts responding to a letter from a skeptical friend, you'll see why I have such a high regard for Craig.

In Questions from Without, he discusses issues raised by his friend, explaining what he believes. Not once is Craig arrogant, dismissive, or condescending. He's Christian.

In his first-century letter to the church in Asia Minor, a reforming religioholic Peter writes, "Always be ready to make your defence to anyone who demands from you an account of the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence" (First Peter 3:15-16).

What that tells me as a Christian is that I should be ready to tell people why I personally hope in Christ. Not what somebody else told me to memorize.

It also tells me that my attitude in doing so shouldn't be what I call religious imperialism. Christians know that we can take zero credit for the hope that we have. That's a gift from God.

Nor do we need to defend God; God can take care of Himself.

We're simply to tell others why we hope in Christ. We leave the rest up to God's Spirit.

Read Craig's gentle, informative posts.

Here are links to the whole series so far:
Questions from Without
Questions from Without: Innocent Suffering
Questions from Without: Is God Omnipotent?
Questions from Without: Whose World Is It?
Questions from Without: Is God Good?
Questions from Without: Why Do Christians Evangelize?
Questions from Without: When Christians "Evangelize"
Questions from Without: Am I a Christian?
Questions from Without: Questioning the Rules
Questions from Without: Where Did God Come From?

No comments: