Saturday, November 10, 2007

Romero: How We Treat the Poor is How We Treat God

[This devotional piece comes from my friend and colleague, Glen VanderKloot, pastor of Faith Lutheran Church in Springfield, Illinois. It cites Roman Catholic Archbishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador. Romero was gunned down in 1980, while serving Holy Communion to cancer patients. His crime? Speaking against the oppression of the poor in his homeland. Glen VanderKloot sends our a daily emailed inspiration. To subscribe, send him an email at at olwf1@gliq.net and put SUBSCRIBE on the subject line.]

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A Thought for the Day

The guarantee of one’s prayer is not in saying a
lot of words. The guarantee of one’s petition is
very easy to know:

How do I treat the poor?

Because that is where God is. The degree to which
you approach them, or the scorn with which you
approach them—that is how you approach your God.
What you do to them, you do to God. The way you
look at them is the way you look at God.

Archbishop Oscar Romero

+++++++++
Scripture
Matthew 25:34-40 TNIV

34 "Then the King will say to those on his right,
'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your
inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since
the creation of the world.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
I was a stranger and you invited me in,
36 I needed clothes and you clothed me,
I was sick and you looked after me,
I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord,
when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty
and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see
you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes
and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in
prison and go to visit you?'

40 "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever
you did for one of the least of these brothers and
sisters of mine, you did for me.'

Prayer

Lord, help me to see you in the eyes of everyone in need
and to respond with love and kindness and assistance.
Amen

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Great post, Mark.
I live in a small community and we all try to look after each other and give to the food banks etc. Our Church helps out whenever we can. I like to buy a box of baking items and give to a family in need before the Holidays.

Mark Daniels said...

That's great, Phyllis!

My former congregation participated in a local food bank.

The needs in the community in which I'm now serving are even greater. I believe that the people of Saint Matthew will be open to helping in whatever ways needed. I'm excited to learn where this will lead.

God bless!

Mark