Saturday, April 18, 2009

Do Not Be Troubled

[This message was shared today during the funeral service for a 55 year old member of our congregation.]

John 14:1-6

Although Pat had not been well for many years, her sudden passing this week came as a shock to all who loved and knew her. I want all of you--especially you, Merle, Tracie, and Stephen--to know that you are in my prayers and will remain in them.

When I came back home after my most recent monthly visit with Merle and Pat, I told my wife that the more I got to know the two of them, the more impressed I was. One thing that struck me then, as it had during our other visits, was how often Pat asked about the health and well being of others. That impressed me.

In fact, in that last conversation, she mentioned in passing that she had sent a get well card to a recently retired assistant to the bishop, Pastor John Tickner. A bit surprised, I asked Pat if she knew Pastor Tickner. "No," she told me. "I just thought it would be good to send him a card." That was Pat.

Through the years, it’s been my observation that people generally react in one of two ways to grief, pain, and adversity, things which Pat and Merle have endured more than most of us. Some people become bitter. They lock out God, refusing to trust in Him. The people about whom they have any concern shrinks, sometimes all the way down to themselves alone.

Others though, understanding that in this life, the rain falls on the righteous and the unrighteous alike, that this world is but an imperfect prelude to eternity, take a different attitude. They lean more heavily on God. Their suffering gives them sympathy for the suffering of others. They love God and neighbor more deeply. This is what I saw in Pat.

Today, as you grieve the loss of a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend, you’re deciding on how you will react to your grief. Will you depend on God or lock God out? Will you close your heart or open it?

Thankfully, we need not make this decision on the strength of our own will. God creates and deepens the faith of those who are willing to let Jesus in.

Once again, the resurrected Jesus is saying to you as He did to the ancient church at Laodicaea, “Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come into you and eat with you, and you with me.”

As we let Jesus in, God’s Holy Spirit will give us comfort, peace, and that openness to God and neighbor that is the mark of faith in Jesus.

And through Jesus, we can have eternal hope! The Gospel lesson I read from John a few moments ago recounts some of what Jesus told His disciples just before He was betrayed and went to the cross. The disciples were already grief-stricken, realizing that Jesus was speaking of His impending death. “Do not let your hearts be troubled,” Jesus told them. “Believe in God, believe also in Me. In my Father’s house are many dwelling places…I go to prepare a place for you…”

When Pat, who trusted Jesus as her God and Savior, left us so abruptly this past Tuesday, she went to a place the Lord had prepared for her.

Jesus has prepared places for you and me as well. We can’t earn them. We can’t do enough good deeds to merit them. They come only to those who believe in Jesus. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him may not perish but may have eternal life.”

There may be times in the weeks, months, and years ahead when you find it hard to believe in Jesus. Fortunately, we don’t have to depend on ourselves for faith any more than we have to depend on ourselves to get into God’s everlasting kingdom. The Bible tells us that God understands that we’re dust, mere imperfect mortals. If you want to believe, but are finding it hard, let God know. Throw yourself into God’s merciful arms.

Like the man who asked Jesus to heal his child, we may pray, “I do believe; help my unbelief.” God will hear that prayer and build up your faith.

You will miss Pat. Don’t let anyone try to tell you differently. But lean on the God we know in Jesus Christ. He will bring you healing. He will open your heart to God and to others. And you will live each day in the certainty that one day you too, will go to that eternal dwelling place God has lovingly prepared for you. Amen

No comments: