Thursday, November 27, 2014

"You're a Big Girl Now"

Love these lines from a song on Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks:
I’m going out of my mind, oh, oh
With a pain that stops and starts
Like a corkscrew to my heart
Ever since we’ve been apart
These lyrics are from what has long been a go-to album for me.

One-time blogger, the novelist Richard Lawrence Cohen, a huge and insightful Dylan devotee, once told me that the LP was "pretty," but not his favorite.

I suppose that in the grand scheme of things, Dylan collections like Highway 61 Revisited, along with his earliest work, as well as John Wesley Harding may rightly be regarded as more important.

And truthfully, I love almost all of Dylan's albums, owning nearly all of them.

But, while Richard is a brilliant man I truly respect, Blood on the Tracks is still my favorite Dylan LP. I love its vulnerability, immediacy, and melodies.

It's a painful album in many ways. But it's also amazing.




No comments: