ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR FRIENDSHIP CHURCH FOLKS (but others can read them too):
1) I need three persons to act as a liaison committee between our congregation and Thrivent Financial Services for Lutherans. Thrivent, a not-for-profit financial services organization, pours millions of dollars each year into various church and community needs. By having this liaison group in place at Friendship, we gain access to the $1200.00 which Thrivent is making available to every Lutheran congregation every year. Let me know if you'd be willing to serve with this group.
(2) ATTENTION, MEN! You may remember that a few months ago, our friend Carl Hartman was with us, representing the "giving team" for the men's Christ Renews His Parish retreat at Lutheran Church of the Resurrection. Carl extended an invitation to Friendship men to receive this fun and spiritually-recharging weekend. Carl phoned me on Monday to say that (a) The men's weekend has been changed to November 8-9, 2003, and Friendship men are still invited and (b) Any Friendship men who have previously attended a Christ Renews His Parish retreat weekend are invited to become members of the giving team for the November weekend. If you'd be interested, let me know. Having been on several giving teams myself, I can tell you that it's a great experience!
(3) The special congregational meeting happens immediately following this coming Sunday's worship celebration. We have three agenda items: (a) Passage of a new constitution; (b) Passage of the new bylaws; (c) Election of a new church council. The reason for the new constitution and bylaws, as you know, is to (a) streamline our decision-making process; (b) spread ownership for ministry to more members of the congregation, depending on task forces, committees, and committed volunteers; (c) provide for the proper oversight of property now that we have our own building; (d) provide for the proper oversight of our outreach efforts. The meeting should only take a few minutes. Please plan on attending.
(4) Congratulations to Kelsey McHenry. Today, he successfully completed requirements for a special "God and Me" commendation with the Cub Scouts. Tell Kelsey that you're proud of him when you see him on Sunday!
(5) Keep praying about where in the world God might want to send us on a mission trip in about eighteen months; ask God if you should go, too (several folks have indicated a desire to go); and ask God to provide us with the financial resources to do it. There's a world that needs the love of Jesus and He sends us to share it!