Friday, July 25, 2003

REFLECTIONS ON THE PROVERBS
(Notes I've made to myself about passages from this awesome book of wisdom from God found in the Old Testament section of the Bible.)

Proverbs 7:1-3:
"My child, keep My words with you; keep My commandments and live, keep My teachings as the apple of your eye; bind them on your fingers, write them on the tablet of your heart."

Through the years, it hasn't been just the confessions of the Church that have taught me that the Bible is more than a book (or more accurately, a library of books). The Bible is God's Word. So often, when I take the time to peruse it and really pay heed to it, I find that it has a word that speaks directly to my circumstances. Sometimes, I like to read it. Sometimes I don't. But always, I sense in its pages that I'm coming in contact with God. On their latest CD, The Beautiful Letdown, Switchfoot has a song called, "On Fire." The chorus says: "I'm on fire when You're near me, I'm on fire when You speak." God commends the Bible to us because it really His Word to us, a love letter to His beloved: us.

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work" (Second Timothy 3:16-17).

No comments: