Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Althouse on 'The Marriage Show-Offs'

In two decades as a pastor, I've been asked several times to preside as couples renewed their marriage vows. My wife and I, who have been married for thirty years, have agreed that it's not something we would ever do. But in most cases, the renewal ceremonies over which I've presided, brief and joyous, with family members and friends as witnesses, have been meaningful for all involved.

I have to say though, that I agree with Ann Althouse's negative judgment of Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee's bizarre decision to renew his vows with his wife in the presence of thousands.

The whole ceremony appears to have been nothing more than showing off, which is how Althouse sees it too.

Frankly, as a pastor, if Huckabee had asked me to preside over such a circus, I would have questioned his motives; it seems to have been an entirely political event. (But of course, he didn't ask me.)

Writes Althouse:
I must say I find it utterly repugnant for a political figure to make a big public show of upgrading his marriage to a "covenant marriage."
By the way, Althouse was profiled today in an interesting article appearing in The Capital Times of Madison, Wisconsin.

No comments: