Monday, May 29, 2006

I Love This Picture...


my son snapped of the building facilities of Arabic Baptist Church in Washington, DC. I love the way it combines a hint of traditional Arabic architecture with the look of a church building.

There's a congregation in Sidney, Ohio, First United Methodist Church, which recently underwent a renovation. Although the people of that area were historically of German extraction, when the church building was remodeled, it was given a hint of Spanish architecture, much of which was influenced by Muslims from the Middle East, of course.

The world is increasingly being homogenized.

2 comments:

Todd M said...

Great observations. I am glad I stumbled across your blog. I look forward to exploring it further.

The remodeling of Sidney First UMC to a Spanish look was actually done in the 1950s, perhaps earlier. That look has been maintained in recent remodels.

Mark Daniels said...

Todd:
Thanks for this information. I really love Sidney.

I've always been a fan of small town Ohio. My father grew up in Bellefontaine, near Sidney. My wife, kids, and I spent six years in rural northwestern Ohio, six miles from Napoleon and about nine from Defiance.

Thanks again for your comments. God bless!