Saturday, June 03, 2006

Has Anybody Seen the New X-Men Flick?


My wife and son went to see it last night. Since I had work to do and know nothing about the X-Men franchise, it made little sense for me to see it.

In spite of being superhero buffs who enjoyed the first two films, they hated this one. Later, my son's best bud from elementary days dropped by and shared the same thumbs-down review. With its fast-paced violence and epic explosions, it sounds like it was made to appeal to the overseas market, which still appears to like these sorts of films.

UPDATE: John Schroeder does a review of X-Men 3 at the conclusion of this post, another in his series on comic book art.

5 comments:

John Schroeder said...

Mark:

my minireview from opening weekend is at the bottom of this post.

http://blogotional.blogspot.com/2006/05/comic-art_27.html

Michael Leung said...

I will watch x-men 3 later

Deborah White said...

No, but my daughter and I saw "The DaVinci Code" today. Amazing how they took a somewhat interesting (albeit inaccurate) thriller and made it crashingly dull and boring.

And Tom Hanks never looked or acted worse. It was odd.

Mark Daniels said...

John: I linked to your review in an update.

Michael: Share your review of XM3 when you do see it.

Deborah: It's funny about 'The DaVinci Code': A couple of friends have said they liked it. But for the most part, the reactions have been the same as you've reported.

Mark

jan@theviewfromher said...

Well it turns out I've recently become something of an expert on all things X-Men. I had family in last weekend for my nephew's college graduation, and he wanted to see X-Men3. So, in order to understand the characters, we rented both X-Men 1 and 2, and stayed up until midnight in an X-Men marathon, and saw #3 the next afternoon. I must say I liked them all. We generally liked the story and digital effects, and all gave it a thumbs-up!