Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I Still Like Simple Single-Author Blogs

Jan, at TheViewfromHer, comments on the changes happening in the blogging world. Many blogs, like that of Michelle Malkin, are becoming multimedia feasts involving the talents of many different people.

This is in line with another big trend to which Jan alludes: group blogging.

I understand why some bloggers would prefer such an approach, feeling that being one contributor among several will decrease the pressure on them to produce interesting posts and perhaps, enhance those posts' quality. But, for the most part, I find group blogs a bit disconcerting; I like the idiosyncracies and peculiar emphases of a single voice.

In the meantime, another of my Godblogging colleagues, Charlie Lehardy of AnotherThink, has announced that in addition to his personal blog, he'll soon be participating in a group blog.

Back in June, Ann Althouse had an excellent post on the group-blog trend. The comments I made there still express my view of the phenomenon:
Frankly, Ann, because of the amount and diversity of original writing you do on your blog, I've always thought of it in the same way, on good days, [that] I think of my own: A group blog written by an individual.

But because they're written by individuals, they have unique voices which may more easily allow people to connect with them.

Few group blogs seem to foster this. They tend to overwhelm one with content and to under-communicate for lack of a coherent voice.

There are exceptions, of course. But this seems to be the case with most group blogs.
I liked Ann's response:
Mark: Thanks. Excellent point. That expresses exactly the problem I'd be concerned with if I group-blogged. I can just look back at the things I wrote on this blog when I was guest-blogging on Instapundit to see that. I wouldn't simul-blog Halloween over there. I wouldn't do multi-photo posts (with the exception of the Kerry rallly). I couldn't say quirky things about "American Idol." Or if I did, I'd have this extra layer of thinking about whether it's right. And if I had a partner here trying to do a similar mix with me, it would necessarily change the mix even if they tried to do a similar mix. I'd have to think about them thinking about what constitutes being the appropriately in tune with me and that would change me.
Group-blogging and multimedia blogs built around blogging superstars are here to stay, of course. So, too, I think, are simple blogs by individuals. Let thirty-million flowers bloom!

5 comments:

Deborah White said...

It's fun and exciting to watch a fledging industry change and grow.

We will someday tell our grandchildren about the Wild West, unregulated days of the internet, when one individual working at home had an equal voice to large media corporations.

Mark Daniels said...

Deborah:
It is interesting to consider how the blogging phenomenon will play out. One thing for sure: I'm glad that through it, I've gotten acquainted with some really interesting people.

Blogging underscores the fact that not everyone who's intelligent, gifted, or wise "makes it big" in the world. While the world isn't a meritocracy, blogging allows people with much merit to reach out to audiences they wouldn't otherwise have. They can do that without running a gauntlet made up of the power-holders in mass media.

I enjoy reading what you write on your blogs, for example. Without blogging, that would not have likely happened.

Blessings!
Mark

jan@theviewfromher said...

Thanks, Mark! There are a lot of single-author blogs I enjoy particularly because of the unique voice or personality the writer brings to a given topic. I suppose group blogs are good for news and politics, where perspective is more important than personality. But I agree there will always be a place for niche blogs on topics of personal interest.

zenmoonstar said...

Thanks for this post, Mark. It confirms my own feelings, too. Single-author blogging allow us to develop our own voice. My first posts back in January started off a bit heavy and serious, but now have lightened and I think my readers' appreciation of that lighter side has helped me evolve into a better writer and blogger.

Mark Daniels said...

Z-Star:
Thanks for sharing your comments as well.

Blessings!
Mark