Monday, February 13, 2006

Question About Cheney's Quail-Hunting Accident

Why was Mr. Cheney hunting a former Vice President in the first place? (I know that it's Q-u-a-y-l-e. But you know how many variant spellings there are. You know, like potato[e].)

In comments here, Pooh quoted that master hunter, Elmer Fudd, who said, "Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits."

Pooh also linked to this post in which it's suggested that Mr. Cheney was emulating a former Vice President, Aaron Burr, who killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel.

Fortunately, it's possible to laugh a little bit about this incident because Harry Whittington, the accidental victim, will recover.

[For some reason though, I keep remembering History of the World, Part 1, in which Mel Brooks plays King Louis XVI. Told that the peasants were revolting in one scene, Brooks' Louis responds, "You're not kidding. They stink on ice." But when told that the people were alienated from their monarch, Brooks' Louis seems to be hurt. "They are my people. I am their king," he says, explaining their mystical connection. This happens while Louis is out shooting clay pigeons. After making this speech, he yells, "Pull!" Instead of a clay pigeon though, a peasant is catapulted into the air and Louis fires away. Does Dick Cheney, by any chance, think that lawyers stink on ice? Just wondering.]

1 comment:

P_J said...

Mark,

I'm impressed (or frightened) -- one of my first thoughts was also History of the World, Part I.

The overreaction to this is really something. It was a hunting accident. People are reacting like this was a shoot-out at high noon or a barroom brawl.

I think it just shows how little understanding of hunting the press has.