Thursday, June 30, 2005

Some Thoughts on Prayer

Last night, I received an email from a person in our community who I've met once, but with whom I've corresponded several times, on some occasions about the Bible studies she's leading at her church for thirty-somethings (she is, as you'll see presently, a grandmother) and on others, my columns that appear in a local chain of suburban newspapers.

She asked for prayers for her grandson's wife who, after giving birth a few weeks ago, learned that she has leukemia. I assured her that I would pray for Kendra and then asked if I could share the request for prayer with the people of our church. She said that those prayers would be welcomed.

Some of you know that I send prayer needs to our congregation via email all the time. Today, as I sent out my request for Kendra, I felt moved to talk a little bit about prayer, what it is, what it does, and what makes it effective. I hope that you find it helpful:
Recently, I've been reading another book by Larry Dossey. Dossey is the physician, researcher, and writer who, almost against his will, became convinced of the effectiveness of prayer in dealing with disease and has since written several books about the growing body of scientific research proving that point. He cites hundreds of studies that have been done at eminent medical research institutions.

Prayer is a powerful weapon. In it, we who are helpless enough to admit our need of help and faithful enough--Jesus says that our faith need only be the size of a tiny mustard seed, that what matters isn't the size of our faith but the size of our God--can call the power of heaven into our earthbound lives.

That doesn't mean, of course, that God always answers our prayers the way we want them answered. There are still many confounding and painful mysteries in life. And one important element of prayer completely missed by the "name it and claim it" crowd who pervert Christian faith, is that every Christian prayer should be marked by the humility and surrender denoted by the simple phrase, "Your will be done." But I have seen enough of "coincidences" involving prayer requests and desired results to convince me that when you and I pray, God pays attention.

Please keep all of the people on our weekly prayer lists in your prayers. It's one more way in which Jesus Christ has deputized you and me to make a positive difference in the world.

[You can find Larry Dossey's books on prayer at Amazon here.]

[This is the best book on prayer I have ever read, period.]

No comments: