Wednesday, November 16, 2005

God's Metaphorical Mallet to the Skull: I'm Beginning to Get It...Maybe

Sometimes, it seems, God needs to use a metaphorical mallet to the skull in order to get my attention. He's been doing that with me this week. The theme: Less talking about your faith in Christ and more living it.
Less talking about loving your neighbor; more doing it.

Less talking about giving to the cause of Christ in the world; the more doing it.

Less talking about being in favor of God's justice for the poor, neglected, and despised; more being an advocate.
This business of living out my faith is certainly one of the themes emerging from my consideration of the Bible passage on which I'll be preaching this coming Sunday. (See here, here, and here.)

Then, this morning, I read the devotion assigned for today at Our Daily Bread here.

And a moment ago, I read this wonderful piece on Authentic Christianity at Blind Beggar.

I may be starting to get it, God. Now the question becomes, will I live it?

3 comments:

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

Mark,
Thank you for your comment today. I followed you over to say that and ended up following you again to Blind Beggar and back. You're right. There is a lightness coming through. Thank you for noticing. I wrote a post tonight called "The Sound of Heaven." that might interest you.

Sorry, I'm rattling a bit.

God bless you, Mark and thank you for your friendship.
Liz

Mark Daniels said...

Liz:
Thanks for the comments and for following the link over to A Blind Beggar.

I'm pleased to read about "the lightness coming through" for you. No doubt it will inspire more great writing.

Blessings!
Mark

Rick Meigs said...

Thanks for the reference Mark! Good to read a kindred spirit.