Friday, January 13, 2006

Robertson Apologizes for Sharon Remarks

Regular readers of this blog know that I have been critical of Pat Robertson and his theology on more than one occasion. (See here, here, here, here, and here.)

But it should be noted that he has apologized for his recent remarks to the effect that Ariel Sharon's stroke of last week came because of God's displeasure with the Israeli prime minister.

Robertson has taken heavy criticism from Christians of many stripes for his remarks.

3 comments:

Its Me! said...

You know, I almost can't beleive the things I have read about what this guys says! Are you sure he said that??? What the heck...

Deborah White said...

Here are Pat Robertson's words:

"My concern for the future safety of your nation led me to make remarks which I can now view in retrospect as inappropriate and insensitive in light of a national grief experienced because of your father's illness. I ask your forgiveness and the forgiveness of the people of Israel."

He says inappropriate and insensitive...but he never says incorrect or wrong. His words imply that it is a tact and timing problem, not a factual problem. He also rationalizes his words by citing his "concern for the future safety of your nation."

and he never says "I am sorry."

Looks to me like a finely worded, deceptive-sounding, face-saving non-apology.

Mark Daniels said...

Dotbar: The videotapes of the things he's said, including the most recent bit about Sharon, have been shown repeatedly on the TV news, in their entirety.

Deborah: Thanks for the transcript!

Mark