Saturday, May 27, 2006

Memories, Hope, and Something Else: A Wedding Message

[This message was shared at the wedding of Sean, a fine young man from our congregation, and his wonderful bride, Alyson, on May 27, 2006.]

Today, I want to talk with you about memories, hope, and something else.

Sean and Alyson: In the back of the program for the wedding today, you talk about memories. To any wedding, I suppose, both the couples and all who gather with them bring buckets-full of memories, the common experiences that are part of our relationships together.

I bring memories to this day, too. My family and I have known Sean and his family since he was in the seventh grade. As I scan my memory, I see years of softball games, Sean's father, Eric, coaching and Sean usually pitching. I remember we had lots of fun.

I also see those garage sales at our house that your mother, Diane, and Ann used to do.

I see your confirmation day.

I remember with gratitude, Sean, how you helped our son with high school Physics, the first indication I had that you might make a teacher.

Alyson, though we’ve known each other only a few years, I also have memories of the ways in which you’ve stood by Sean in difficult times as well as good, something you’ll both be called upon to do for each other in the years to come.

So, as we gather here today, we bring our memories. We also bring our hopes. And what do we hope (and pray) for?

The lesson from Genesis, the first book of the Bible, says that “a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh.” Sean and Alyson, as you begin your married life together, this is a good place to start. The word translated there as clings, I’m told, could as easily be translated, believe it or not, as laminated. From now on, the two of you are to be laminated or stuck together.

But we all know of couples who don’t seem very stuck together and of still others who willfully tear the bond that once brought them together. Our hope...and our prayer is that you’ll remain together.

That brings us to the “something else” I was talking about. Our second Bible lesson, from First Corinthians in the New Testament, tells us that the glue that holds relationships together is love. Not the mushy version of it you see in the chick flicks, but the real thing: Love that’s patient, kind, isn’t envious or boastful or arrogant, rude or resentful. Love that doesn’t enjoy making the other person look foolish or try to get revenge. Love that endures and forgives.

Now, when I read that the description of love in that Bible passage, I’ve got to tell you, I’m overwhelmed. I’m not a good enough person to love like that and as wonderful as the two of you are, I don’t think you are either.

So, I’m going to give you a simple piece of advice: The only way to make a marriage work is love. And there’s only one place to get the love that makes marriage work and that’s from the Savior Jesus Christ, Who loved us--loved you two--all the way to the cross and then rose from death to give you and all who will turn from sin and turn to Him, life forever. He can give you the love you need to make your marriage work.

Build your marriage and build your lives on Christ and you’ll have an eternity of memories and hope and love! Make Christ the center of your life. You can’t go wrong with Christ! Amen

No comments: