Thursday, August 24, 2006

Pray for Marcus' Return

I got my haircut yesterday and my barber asked me, "Where do you think Marcus is?"

Last night, Marcus was a topic of discussion at a meeting of the Clermont County Board for Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, of which I'm a member.

We prayed for Marcus on Sunday during our worship service.

Marcus Fiesel is a developmentally delayed three year old who disappeared from a park not far from where I live on August 15. He was with his foster mother and several other foster children at the time, when the foster mother fainted, the result of a heart condition. When the foster mother awoke, she was in an emergency vehicle, heading for the hospital. Marcus was missing.

The story has gripped the entire metropolitan Cincinnati area.

As you can imagine, rumors are rampant. One man with whom I spoke recently said, "A lot of people think that the foster parents did something to Marcus. But I have an autistic child and I know how quickly such children can wander off. So, I just don't know what to think."

Extensive searches by the police, helped by citizen volunteers, employing GPS technology, have turned up zero clues.

My personal prayer is that a misguided person decided to take Marcus, is treating him well, and that soon, he will be found, unharmed.

It's a horrible situation! But the one postive to be observed in it all is that an entire metropolitan area cares so much about a single missing child.

May we care about all our children, even those in our midst.

Please pray for Marcus Fiesel's safe return.

No comments: