Thursday, November 02, 2006

Continuing the Visual Arts Theme of the Day...

I just discovered the fabulous site of JAFABRIT, a sometimes whimsical visual artist who works in Yellow Springs, Ohio. Watch this Youtubed vlog on being an invisible woman. (Be sure to explore her blog site and see her fun and interesting work.)



[UPDATE, WHAT I TOLD JAFABRIT ABOUT HER YOUTUBE MEDITAITION ON THE INVISIBLE ARTIST:

I like the paintings featured in the video.

Speaking to what you address there: I think many people feel invisible. And it always goes back to that word you used: incuriosity. (I checked and it is a word, by the way.) People are often terribly incurious about things they don't understand (like being an artist) or things they don't want to understand (like how grieving or hurting people may be feeling).

Maybe part of the reason for that is that curiosity requires empathy and empathy--surely a form of love--requires work. (Love, I think, is less a feeling than it is a commitment to the well-being of another. Love, I like to say, is sometimes not what you feel but what you do in spite of how you feel.)

You can't tell that I'm a preacher, can you?

Anyway, your little meditation, camera in hand, reminded me of how important empathy is. Nobody wants to be invisible.

I like your site.

Mark Daniels]

2 comments:

jafabrit said...

wow, I can't believe you did a blog entry about ME. Well, so much for being invisible LOL! and sheesh, I didn't even have to go into a head shop ;) thankyou.

Mark Daniels said...

I really enjoy your site and your art. My wife and I will have to check out some of your work sometime soon. (She was an Art major and is a very good visual artist. She just doesn't realize it.)

Thanks for dropping by.

Mark