Friday, July 25, 2008

"Be Still and Know That I AM God"

[Regular readers of this blog will know about the daily emailed inspirations sent out by my colleague and friend, Pastoro Glen VanderKloot of Springfield, Illinois. In today's edition, Glen shares a quote from Lutheran pastor and author William Vaswig. It contains great advice!]

OnLine with Faith

July 25, 2008 Issue 457e
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

WELCOME to the daily issue of ONLINE WITH FAITH.
ONLINE WITH FAITH is a ministry of Faith Lutheran Church,
2313 Whittier Avenue, Springfield, IL, 62704, Glen VanderKloot,
Pastor.

We encourage you to worship and be involved in a local congregation.

If you have any questions, comments, or prayer
requests please be in touch with us at
pastor@faithlutheran.com
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Thought for the Day

Carl Jung, the psychologist, said that silence or being
still is in itself healing. Jung would insist that
his patients sit wtill alone at home bewtween appointments.
No radios, phonographs, music or people to talk to.
Today we would add televisions and computers and M3P
players. He could tell when his patients returned to
his office a week or two after their appointment
whether or not they had done what he had assigned them.
Those who sat in silence one hour a day were always
improved when he saw them again.

It dawned on me if a well known psychologist like
Carl Jung knew the great healing value of silence,
how much more God knows what silence does for his own
children. When God says...

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

his instruction is given in order that we might be
constantly healed. It turns out that it is one of the
most healthful things you can do.

God wants to speak to us becasue he knows we can't hear
him while we are talking.

The best thing I have learned in my Christian walk is
the importance of being absolutely quiet.

William Vaswig

Bible verse
Psalm 62:1-2

For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him
comes my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.


Prayer

Lord, help me to regularly dedicate time to wait
in silence and listen for you. Amen

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[If you'd like to receive Glen's free daily emailed inspirations, send an email to olwf1@gliq.net, putting SUBSCRIBE on the subject line. Believe me, you'll love receiving them.]

No comments: