Thursday, July 29, 2010

Christians and Immigration Reform

Recently, I've been critical of the presiding bishop of the denomination to which I belong, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), for his rather specific lobbying of President Obama on the subject of immigration reform. (You can see the substance of my criticism here and here.)

None of this is to say that Christians shouldn't think--and think hard--about issues like immigration reform from the perspective of their faith.

Four years ago, I did a series of blog posts on How Christians Might Think About Immigration Reform. In it, I didn't present a point of view or an opinion, but a series of windows through which Christians might want to think and pray about this big issue. Since it has come back to the fore as an issue, here are the links to all four installments:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
I hope that you find these helpful.

3 comments:

Obie said...

You say,

"One of the biggest problems in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), of which I am a part, is its leadership's insistence on speaking out on a variety of political issues, pretending, it seems to me, that their positions are unambiguously "Christian," when in fact, Scripture gives no such authority."

Your call for the ELCA to refrain from policking seems rather hollow when your blog features an ad from NOM, an overtly political group with a decidedly political agenda. Further, NOM is guilty of your charge of pretending that their positions are "unambiguously Christian".

Some consistency please.

Mark Daniels said...

Obie:
The ads are placed there by Google. I have nothing to do with what gets placed on my site.

Mark Daniels said...

By the way, Obie, once when I wrote a piece about horoscopes violating the command and call to rely on God alone, Google put up an ad for a horoscope site. That cracked me up. Hey, if these people wanted to subsidize my opposition to them, I thought that was fine!